Earthquake Emergency Response Plan (EERP) helps in identifying sectors for emergency response and in defining roles and responsibilities of the respective departments/division/sections and units during an adverse event. Furthermore, the plan prepares the municipality to deliver maximum relief to maximum number of affected people during an emergency. The EERP of municipalities developed out of series of multi-stakeholder workshop, consultation meeting and finally a validation workshop.
The Plan provides Standard Operating Procedures (SOP’s) for different units of municipality during emergency. Although the plan is prepared for major earthquake, it is equally applicable other emergencies as well
Objective of Study
The objective of Emergency response plan is to:
- Institutionalize emergency response in municipalities
- Identify roles and responsibility of municipalities during emergency
- Identify and assign roles and responsibilities to Department/Division/Section within municipalities to respond during emergencyand accordingly assign specific responsibilities to individuals, departments and sections
- Outline coordination mechanism with internal and external agencies
- Prepare communities for effective emergency response
- Support and contribute to the overarching goal of building communities and nations resilient to disasters
The Earthquake Emergency Response Plan (EERP) is a flexible structure for emergency response to be implemented in coordination with different stakeholders. Although the EERP is prepared for earthquakes, the plan is equally applicable for other emergency situations as well.
Location: Kathmandu, Nepal
Name of Client: International Organization for Migration (IOM)
Completion Date: September, 2013